About Judi Bonilla
My name is Judi Bonilla and I often say, I was destined to be an aging expert. For one thing, I am the youngest child of older parents. Then I noticed my parents were a decade older than my classmate’s. In essence, this early observation turned a curiosity into a career.
A Diverse Background
Notably, my experience includes senior centers, research, and now a solo practitioner. Currently, I use social media to share my vision of aging.
In fact, my focus is to connect the different domains of aging. In fact, my focus is to connect the different domains of aging. By reaching out to academicians, policymakers, researchers, and service providers.
Social Media for Professionals in Aging
With this mind, two years ago, I applied to speak at South by South West (SXSW). My topic? To ask Millennials to rethink aging. Then I asked, what if they lived to age 120? In a similar manner, Michelle Obama continued the conversation at SXSW a couple days later. When FLOTUS asked, Remember the 106-year-old woman, Ms. McLaurin, who was dancing with us? I told her, I want to be just like you! 106 and movin and groovin!
Then last January I wrote about changing demographics. In particular, the Pew Research article Millennials overtaking Baby Boomers. To put it another way, aging is officially a trend. Ultimately, I believe Boomers are the foundation of aging in America. Similarly, John Feather spoke on the topic Addressing Ageism in the Public Policy Arena. All in all, he asks Why is it so difficult to sell aging?
- First I’m the author of Freewheeling After Sixty. A comprehensive look at senior transportation. My goal creating an action plan for transportation.
- Speaker at inaugural Los Angeles Aging into the Future Conference. Bringing tech companies, innovators, and experts in aging.
- Selection by Aging and Independence Services to present at the Vital Aging Summit. The topic, Transportation & Mobility: Don’t Get Stuck Without Options.
- Then as the first gerontologist to appear at SXSW conference. The talk Aging: The Opportunity For Continuing Education.
- LeadingAge Hacker. The result a HackFest’s People’s Choice Prize. A platform curating memories for those with an early dementia diagnosis.
- Social Media Rockstar Recipient. Honored by SeniorHomes as a social media standout.
- Finally my fellowship with Hispanics in Philanthropy. Researching risk reduction of chronic conditions and Alzheimer’s disease among Latinos.